FW: max clients exceeded

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Tue Apr 6 09:35:01 2004

Nepple, Bruce wrote:

> The error message I am getting is:
>
> Xlib: connection to "localhost:11.0" refused by server
> Xlib: Maximum number of clients reached

I think you are logged in to the remote unix machine using ssh. That provides
display "localhost:10.0" and/or "localhost:11.0" to use the same pipe ot your
desktops X11 session.

An other reason can be that you use SuSE linux (or UL or an other variant). That
comes with vnc sessions pre-defined at vnc-session number :10 and :11. (kind of
like http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp).

Hence if you provide a number, best not use :10 or :11. Numbers :0, and :7 can
also be used already.

> How can I get to the bottom of what resource is limited?

Roughly beyond imagination... Practically X11 displays are limited from :0 to
:60 (you can use more but the standard says to at least accept these numbers
hence all works with these numbers and optionally more).

vnc-sessions can use numbers 0 trough 99, because vnc-session 100 uses the same
port as Xdisplay :0 (port 6000).

Then there can be other tools using the ports to be used: 6000+displaynumber for
the X11 display. 5900+vncsessionnumber for the vnc-communication. optionally
5800+vncsessionnumber for the httpserver.

btw: in the above, the vncsessionnumber can be any integer from 0 trough 655356.
Abusing the integer number system can use any number, even negative ones (using
2-s complement numbers)