Two VNC Servers on One Machine, with different properties.

Chuck M cmariotti "at" hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 20:43:00 2004

I have been using VNC for many years now... I must say, it has been the
greatest life saver... I would like to push it to the next level in our
organization if possible.

In particular, I would like to have our sale staff start to use it for sales
purposes.I will use a cheesey example below...

Doug is a sales rep... Doug's computer (Windows 2000/XP) currently has
VNCServer installed as a Service, with it's default settings (5800 Web and
5900) and an administrator password. This "Service Installation" is strictly
used so that Doug's network administrator can remote control his computer as
required to do updates, hand-hold with technical issues, etc... Doug never
touches this installation of VNC (although the icon is on the bottom right
corner).

Doug would love to do zero notice, real-time sales demonstations to his
clients. It is assumed that Doug's clients are big firms with strict
firewall rules. Meaning, PORT 80 is the acceptable port to utilize.

Doug would only like to run this program when he is ready to run a demo. So,
he would like an Icon on his desktop that he just double-clicks. It would be
also good if Doug could change the password himself every time he wants to
demo (say, to "ClientName"). Doug would also like his clients to VIEW ONLY,
meaning, he doesn't want the client to take over control of his machine.
This is strictly a watch the demo situation.

Doug does not want his clients to install a special viewer, he would just
like to give them a web page to go to to view... much like
(http://doug.fakecompany.com:5800) ... This would initialize the Java client
in the brower and user would be able to view what doug is viewing. Except,
5800-5900 is probably not a good port number to use as stated above)

SO... given the above... can this be done? Am I thinking straight or can you
recommend a better way or thought train?

At the end of the day, the short of it is.

I need two VNC Servers installed on the same Windows 2000/XP Machine. One,
is full access for the administrator installed as a Service. The other is a
view only, on demand (double click short-cut), running on port 80. Both
installations supporting the WebBrowser Java Client (just different ports).

Any suggestions would be great!

Regards,

Chuck

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE*