Router/Firewall Settings for Port Forwarding Continued...

William Hooper whooper "at" freeshell.org
Mon Apr 5 16:22:01 2004

I've ignored this conversation up to this point, so excuse me if this
information repeats.

David said:
[snip]
> So basically, how can I set up port forwarding so that when I type in
> http://w.x.y.z:5800 it forwards to 192.168.1.2:5800 instead of just
> 192.168.1.2 b/c that's my problem right?

This doesn't make sense.  All IP communication has an address and a port
number.  Your NAT device takes the information coming into it on port 5800
and forwards it to the internal "server" address on the same port (5800).

> I was thinking that since my
> router had a remote management feature (where I can type in http://w.x.y.z
> and I can log into my server settings from anywhere on the internet) that
> this might be causing a problem?  B/c even though for remote management I
> have port 8080 lets say to log in, I don't even need to type a port to get
> to the router settings.

You don't have to type a port because port 80 is the assigned port for
HTTP.  Your web browser assumes port 80 for HTTP unless you tell it
otherwise.

> I will try turning remote management of the
> server
> off and try both port forwarding addresses one more time, but I am at a
> loss
> on how to forward a TCP 5800 or 5900 to 192.168.1.2:5800 or PC1 and not
> just
> to 192.168.1.2.  Any ideas????

You are confused.

> If you click on the link below, you can view a screen shot of the only
> port
> forwarding settings I have with my Netgear.
> http://www.unc.edu/~dmcgibbo/crap/netgear.jpg

As explained on the netgear page, the "Server" address should be the
internal address of the machine running the server.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101145.asp

I would suggest using two entries, one for port 5900 and one for port 5800
(both assuming your "PC 1" is a MS Windows machine using the default
settings.

I see that your router also has a SPI firewall.  Have you tried disabling it?

> And here's what my network looks like since I have one computer...
>
> I\
> T|  w.x.y.z |        |192.168.1.1   +------+ 192.168.1.2
> T/

You are trying to access VNC from a machine on the internet and not
192.168.1.2, right?

--
William Hooper