HELP! Router/Firewall with VNC Question

David dmc "at" unc.edu
Sun Apr 4 12:45:01 2004

Hello,
I still have questions about the router b/c it will not work.  I set up port
forwarding and then called Netgear and double-checked that it was set-up
right.  I have a service for port 5800-5900 set up for my IP address which
means if I log into my IP address from a computer at any port between
5800-5900, it should let it through the firewall.  However, on my computer
if I hover my mouse over winVNC, it doesn't show my IP address, it shows the
internal router IP address, you know the default 192.168.1.1 or .2 or .3
depending on which connection I'm on.  I can check this by trying to log in
on the same computer (which it won't connect b/c loopback connections aren't
allowed but I can tell if it would work) and if I do 192.168.1.2:5800 it
works fine (but then won't allow the loopback) but if I do my IP
address:5800 which is what I'd need to do to log into VNC from another
computer, it doesn't work.  Instead, if I remember correctly it tries to log
me into the router settings remotely - how do I fix this problem?  I think
that my forwarding is set-up right but I need VNC to know my real IP
address, not the default 192.168.x.x router one...

Thanks

David

Message: 1