VNC and a Cisco VPN Client

John Schneider John "at" Schneider.name
Thu Apr 1 23:26:01 2004

I have a client to whom I connect by using the Cisco VPN Client software
(Version 4.0.2) to connect to their network, then I use pcAnywhere to
connect to a specific machine on the network.  I have a situation now
where I need someone else to connect to my machine using VNC while I'm
connected to the client, so that we can both look at the system at the
same time.

The last time I tried this was a few months ago, using an earlier
release of the Cisco VPN.  In order to get this to work, I had to
establish connectivity to the client first, then I'd start VNC server
and have the 3rd party connect to my machine.  From what I can remember,
this worked just fine.  Now, with this new version of the Cisco VPN, the
3rd party gets the "unable to connect to server" when they try to VNC to
my machine after I've established a connection with the Cisco client.

I'm running Windows 2000 Server on a Toshiba Tecra 9100 laptop, going
through a Linksys BEFSR41 router, over BellSouth's IFITL ISP.  I can run
VNC Server (after opening 5901 on my router) and the 3rd party can
connect to my machine just fine.  If I then start the Cisco VPN Client,
I can connect to the client, but the 3rd party's machine stops
responding about halfway through the Cisco handshaking process.

I'm guessing I'm just hosed here, but would appreciate any ideas anyone
might have!

John Schneider