Allow Shutdown not in system registry

James Weatherall jnw "at" realvnc.com
Thu Apr 1 16:05:01 2004

Nathan,

Moving icons out of the Start Menu doesn't prevent users from performing
those functions - it just makes them slightly harder to find.

As I stated in my earlier posts, VNC 4b4, when running as a service, can
only be shut down via the SCM (i.e. usually only by Administrators) and
cannot be killed via Task Manager or by normal Users.  Much like moving of
Start Menu items, blocking access to Task Manager doesn't achieve much,
except to make it very slightly harder to kill processes.

With regards to Windows 98, I believe you are mistaken.  Windows 98 has no
concept of security.  All you can do is make it more awkward for users to do
things, you can't actually prevent them.  At the end of the day, all the
settings you describe reside in the registry or filesystem, neither of which
have user-dependent access control.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.