problem with keyboard

Corné Beerse cbeerse "at" lycos.nl
Thu Apr 1 13:41:01 2004

Raj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Slackware Linux, FVM95 and Windows98.
>
> While using VNC X-windows, in xterm, my keyboard character "5" is
> working as a backspace character.

Sounds like some bad keyboard mapping somewhere.

In X (X11, Xvnc, XFree), they are defined with stuff like `xmodmap` and you can
fool around with them using `xkeycaps`.

> Only for a particular vnc account this is happening and from the same
> system when I login using another account, everything works fine.

Then check te differences between the 2 accounts. Focus on language setting and
keyboard mapping. Most likely in the used windowmanager (mwm, olwm) or display
manager (cde, kde, gnome).