connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x)

Jerry Westrick jerry@westrick.com
Mon May 5 00:48:00 2003

Dear Mr. M.

Thanks for explaining your situation in such detail,  It
helps us help you...

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 09:25, monk wrote:
> I can not seem to get VNC to work over
> the internet.  I can get it to work
> locally within my home lan but not
> over a public IP address.
>
> I have the following setup:
>     ISP:    earthlink
>
>     LAN settings:
>     Netgear 802.11b wireless router
>     with a local IP of 192.168.0.1
>     netmask of local lan = 255.255.255.0
>     Windows box has ip of 192.168.0.50
>
>     Wan Settings:
>     The router gets a public IP address
>     like 66.xx.xx.xx and has a netmask
>     of 255.255.255.255 assigned (from earthlink)
>
>     In the netgear router settings (Port Forwarding)
>     I have:
>     Start Port = 5900
>     End Port = 5905
>     Server        192.168.0.50 (lan ip of windows box)
>
> When I try to connect, I simply enter in
> the public ip that the router picks up
> from earthlink (66.xx.xx.xx)
>
> I get an error dialog: "Failed to connect to the server".
>
> If I enter the ip: 192.168.0.50 (local lan ip of the
> windows box running the VNC server, I can connect ok).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Okay, It looks like when you try to access from the internet,
the address is not translated, and forwarded.  By default
routers / firewalls donot do this.  You have to add a special
configuration to the firewall/router for this to work.  It
was not clear weither you did this or not.

The easiest way to test if the configuration works is
to type "telnet 66.x.x.x 5900" in a "Dos Box" (assuming your
that the vnc worked within in the lan with 192.168.0.50:0...)

If the VNC server is there, than you will see a Line like "RFP 3.0"
and other stuff.  If it don't work you'll see "Connection Refused".

Try it from inside you network first to see the proper result.

Jerry Westrick