VNC 4.0b3 and RHL 9

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Thu Jul 31 20:10:01 2003

I took some time today, and thanks to Tim Waugh and Dave Love got VNC
4.0b3 to build on my RHL 9 machine.  This is using gcc 3.2.2 and XFree86
4.3.0 (sources from the XFree86-4.3.0.tar.gz file included in
XFree86-4.3.0-2.src.rpm from Red Hat).

I've just tested Xvnc using it basically as a replacement for the VNC from
Red Hat (ie. on it's own display, not display :0).  I can get Gnome to
work, if I set "-depth 8".  Using the default 16, I get:

[whooper@Test vnc-4.0b3-unixsrc]$ cat /home/whooper/.vnc/Test\:1.log

Xvnc version 4.0b3 - built Jul 31 2003 13:43:29
Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc

Thu Jul 31 14:57:40 2003
 vncext:      VNC extension running!
 vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
 vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
 vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
SESSION_MANAGER=local/Test:/tmp/.ICE-unix/10734
The program 'gnome-session' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)'.
  (Details: serial 104 error_code 2 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
[whooper@Test vnc-4.0b3-unixsrc]$

I don't think this is a Gnome error, because I also get an error if I just
try to run an xterm.

[whooper@Test downloads]$ vncserver :2

New 'Test:2 (whooper)' desktop is Test:2

Starting applications specified in /home/whooper/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/whooper/.vnc/Test:2.log

[whooper@Test downloads]$ export DISPLAY=:2
[whooper@Test downloads]$ xterm
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  53 (X_CreatePixmap)
  Value in failed request:  0x20
  Serial number of failed request:  14
[whooper@Test downloads]$

Again, both operations work if I use "-depth 8".  Is there anything I can
do to troubleshoot?

--
William Hooper