Cannot Install VNC Server properly on RH Linux 7.2

Antony Gelberg antony@antgel.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 23:05:01 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:30:41PM -0700, Isaac Hooft wrote:
> I'm quite new to linux. So I have very limited knowledge of how everything
> operates. Installation of anything seems to quite a task. To windows guy
> like me.  So I was wondering if you Linux guys could give me a hand.

The first thing I'd say is ditch RedHat and install Debian.  The apt
package installation system is like nothing else, even if the initial
install is not as glossy.

Having said that...  I assume you installed the RPM?  I have done this
myself, and I seem to recall that something isn't configured by default.

I _think_ (and it's a while since I'm run RH), that you need to edit
/etc/sysconfig/vncservers to set up one or more screens.

In any event, if you do a service vncserver start then look in
/var/log/messages, you may get a hint as to why it's not starting.

Antony