VNC 4.0b3 and RFB

Mac Cody Mac_A_Cody@raytheon.com
Wed Jul 30 17:38:00 2003

Tristan Richardson wrote:
> VNC 4.0b3 uses version 3.7 of the protocol, but is completely backwards
> compatible with version 3.3.  I've put the latest protocol document on the
> website, accessible from the documentation page
> http://www.realvnc.com/documentation.html
>
> The only official versions of the RFB protocol are 3.3 and 3.7.  Various
> other people have abused the RFB protocol in a number of ways but these are
> not offical versions.  The latest version of the protocol document explains
> better how pseudo-encodings can be used to add extensions to the protocol
> without breaking compatibility.

The RFB protocol document states that it is version 3.3 with revisions
made in 1998 and 2002.  Is this document effectively version 3.7 or is
there a formal RFB 3.7 document?  I'm trying to keep my TclRFB
implementation current with the latest version of the protocol.  The
concept of pseudo-encodings is something I'd like to have a better
understanding of also.

> We decided not to keep the link between protocol version number and VNC
> version number since it caused confusion.

Indeed, it is confusing, as my post hinted at.

Mac
| Mac A. Cody                   | Principal Physics Engineer      |
| Raytheon Company C3I IGS      | email: Mac_A_Cody@raytheon.com  |
| Mail Stop HA                  | phone: (972) 205-6452           |
| P.O. Box 660023               |   or   1-800-752-6163 x6452     |
| Dallas, TX 75266              | fax  : (972) 205-7180           |