OT: SSH and Screen (was Re: Doing Pine from Palm via VNC to Xvnc)

Mike Miller mbmiller@taxa.epi.umn.edu
Fri Jul 25 16:05:00 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, William Hooper wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by "clickable interface" (I assume you mean
> using the stylus mouse like to select things)

With Pine, some commands are displayed across the bottom of the screen and
you may click on those commands to execute them.  For example "^_ Alt
Edit", if clicked on will start the alternative editor (emacs for me).
I'm thinking it will be a lot easier to click than to do control
characters on the Treo 300, but I might find out I'm wrong after I have
the thing.

> but both colors and "clickability" would depend on what SSH client you
> choose.  I'm not really familiar with Palm SSH clients, but I have seen
> screen shots of color terminals displayed on them.

Oh, that's good news.  I'll definitely look into it.

> Yep.  It also is handy if you want to log in, start a process (for
> example a download), then disconnect.  The download runs in the
> background and you can connect back later to check on it.  It is
> basically a text-based VNC.
>  Check out http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6340

Thanks.  I'll study it further.

> > I don't think speed will be a problem because I'm supposed to have
> > true 50-70 kbps which should be fine with a little thumbs-only QWERTY
> > keypad.  See my next message for more info on my current solution.
>
> Looks like a good plan!  As I said, I wasn't trying to discourage you
> from using VNC, just pointing out an alternative.

And I am very grateful for your suggestions.  Thanks for taking the time
to help me out with this.

Best,

Mike

--