OT: SSH and Screen (was Re: Doing Pine from Palm via VNC to Xvnc)

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Fri Jul 25 13:31:01 2003

Mike Miller said:
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, William Hooper wrote:
>
>> Mike Miller said:
>> > I run Pine and Xvnc on my Solaris box and would love to be able to use
>> > vncviewer on a Palm OS device to connect to the Solaris box and do my
>> > e-mail.  The Palm device (Treo 300 from Handspring) gives me
>> always-on,
>> > unlimited internet service through Sprint.  The display size on the
>> Treo
>> > is 160 x 160 pixels (like most palm OS devices).  I would like to have
>> > single 160 x 160 X-window in which to run Pine from the Treo.  It
>> would be
>> > nice to have no border on the window.  What do you think?  Has anyone
>> else
>> > dealt with this before?
>>
>> In this specific example (Pine being text-based) wouldn't it be faster
>> to just run Pine over an SSH connection?  You can use "screen" to get a
>> persistent session and sending the text (SSH) should be faster than
>> sending a picture of the text (VNC).
>
> That's a good idea too.  I'm not sure if the ssh for palm will give me
> colors and clickable interface, both of which are helpful.

I'm not sure what you mean by "clickable interface" (I assume you mean
using the stylus mouse like to select things), but both colors and
"clickability" would depend on what SSH client you choose.  I'm not really
familiar with Palm SSH clients, but I have seen screen shots of color
terminals displayed on them.

> I haven't used
> screen before, but have heard it is good.  Does it return me exactly to
> where I was in my session if I lose my connection?

Yep.  It also is handy if you want to log in, start a process (for example
a download), then disconnect.  The download runs in the background and you
can connect back later to check on it.  It is basically a text-based VNC.
 Check out http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6340

> I don't think speed
> will be a problem because I'm supposed to have true 50-70 kbps which
> should be fine with a little thumbs-only QWERTY keypad.  See my next
> message for more info on my current solution.

Looks like a good plan!  As I said, I wasn't trying to discourage you from
using VNC, just pointing out an alternative.

--
William Hooper