Doing Pine from Palm via VNC to Xvnc (was "Sharing single window with VNC")

Mike Miller
Fri Jul 25 07:56:01 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, William Hooper wrote:

> Mike Miller said:
> > I run Pine and Xvnc on my Solaris box and would love to be able to use
> > vncviewer on a Palm OS device to connect to the Solaris box and do my
> > e-mail.  The Palm device (Treo 300 from Handspring) gives me always-on,
> > unlimited internet service through Sprint.  The display size on the Treo
> > is 160 x 160 pixels (like most palm OS devices).  I would like to have a
> > single 160 x 160 X-window in which to run Pine from the Treo.  It would be
> > nice to have no border on the window.  What do you think?  Has anyone else
> > dealt with this before?
> In this specific example (Pine being text-based) wouldn't it be faster
> to just run Pine over an SSH connection?  You can use "screen" to get a
> persistent session and sending the text (SSH) should be faster than
> sending a picture of the text (VNC).

That's a good idea too.  I'm not sure if the ssh for palm will give me
colors and clickable interface, both of which are helpful.  I haven't used
screen before, but have heard it is good.  Does it return me exactly to
where I was in my session if I lose my connection?  I don't think speed
will be a problem because I'm supposed to have true 50-70 kbps which
should be fine with a little thumbs-only QWERTY keypad.  See my next
message for more info on my current solution.

> Back to the original question, you can set the VNC server's resolution
> with the "-geometry" switch.  Sizing the window and whether it has a
> border are both functions of the window manager.  I haven't tried it,
> but you might want to check out .

Thanks.  I did know most of that but 'ratpoison' sounds interesting.
I'll probably try to experiment later with other window managers and ways
to get rid of all borders, but the thing I just developed today seems to
work.  I'm actually using old OpenWindows under Solaris right now.  If any
of you get interested in this and find a better way (e.g., lower
bandwidth) to make this work, I'd be very interested.

I wrote up a bunch of info about my scheme and you can read it all in my

Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Division of Epidemiology
and Institute of Human Genetics