vnc server problem

Mossop, Antony P apmosso@sandia.gov
Fri Jul 25 01:09:00 2003

A few months ago I set up an alpha box to run vnc services,
the users were generally running clients on windows pc's
and the connection was usually tunneled through ssh to
get through the local firewalls that were in place. Step forward
a couple of months and I've now changed jobs and continents
when I hear that the users at my old place are now unable
to make vnc connections to the alpha box. Likely it's
something simple I thought, (yeah sure), and proceded to
poke about. Here's what I'm getting:-

( N.B. To help keep track, the prompt on my linux desktop is $
and the prompt on the remote alpha box is > .)
I'm logging on to the remote box, and firing up a new
vnc desktop

  > vncserver :n

where n is my integer of choice.
I'm then setting up a tunnel from a shell on my desktop,

  $ ssh -l remote_id -L 590m:127.0.0.1:590n remote_box

where m is another favourite integer (pedantic note n,m < 10),
remote_id is my userid on the remote box, and remote_box is
the address.
I'm prompted for my password, I type it in, a secure shell is started
on the remote box and the tunnel is initiated.
So far so good.

In another shell on my desktop I start a vnc client, this then
immediately bombs

  $ vncviewer 127.0.0.1:m
  VNC viewer version 3.3.7 - built Feb 28 2003 18:58:10
  Copyright (C) 2002-2003 RealVNC Ltd.
  Copyright (C) 1994-2000 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge.
  See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
  ReadFromRFBServer: rdr::EndOfStream
  $

and simultaneously kills the secure shell connection (and tunnel)
from the desktop to the remote_box and flips me back to my desktop
shell

  > Connection to remote_box closed by remote host.
  Connection to remote_box closed.
  $

I'm stumped and could find little info on this. I'm not in
a position to make a direct connection to the remote_box and
there's a lot of firewalls between here and there, although I
don't think it's a firewall issue. Most likely I've
done something dumb, missed the obvious or failed to pick up on
something well publicised in the archives but if any kind soul can
help me on this I'd be grateful.

cheers
Tony