Roasting old chestnuts

Robert de Bath
Thu Jul 24 09:11:00 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Greg Breland wrote:

> While I agree that file transfer is needlessly complicating VNC, it is the most
> requested feature and will help VNC become more popular.  For instance, Terminal
> Server doesn't have file transfer built in.  You have to use regular SMB file
> sharing to transfer files.

Actually, that's not quite true. If you're using the right versions
(Citrix addon or XP..XP I think) of terminal server you get drive
mapping. This is _really_ neat if the server has been setup with
it's %SystemDrive% as E: so that C: and D: are free to be the mapped
client drives. Even with the oldest versions you get printer and COM:
port mapping, I think I've heard of somebody using virtual COM: ports
to transfer files (or more likely it was real COM ports at the client
end and they were searching for a virtual null modem cable).

Rob.                          (Robert de Bath <robert$ @>)
Google Homepage: