Xvnc - different window manager

Bill Cassady caersidi@freeshell.org
Wed Jul 23 15:39:01 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> I am running Xvnc on Debian.  I use gnome and gdm locally - but I'd like
> to use twm or seom other lightweight WM over VNC.  How do I go about this?

Twm was the default wm in my installation. It was just a matter of
substituting "icewm" for "twm" in the config file to effect the
change. (Icewm is lightweight and fast and also gives you 4 destops)

> Also, is it better to run it from inetd, using xdmcp, or to just add the
> vncserver line to /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh?  THe Debian README states the
> former, but I thought xdmcp was meant to be very insecure.

I just execute the program(s) as needed. If I wanted them to run all
the time I might start them in the local bootscript. I run SuSE and
it's a little different from deb; I don't find xdmcp on my sysem at
all.

-Bill

caersidi@sdf.lonestar.org