Roasting old chestnuts

Steve Palocz spalocz@tgtsolutions.com
Wed Jul 23 15:23:00 2003

I just wanted to state, before someone else recreates the wheel, that
ULTRA VNC has file transfer (for windows) built in. It works great, and
I have even noticed that it is as fast if not faster then windows smb
file xfer. Also, ultra has a wonderful video driver that can be
installed on 2k/xp machines. Now I have been using this for months now
with out problem, and over a 128k link, it is just as fast if not faster
then Xvnc on Unix. Now I could go on and say that there is also a nice
toolbar in the viewer window, it has a status screen that tells you
current encoding and speed, nifty button on the toolbar called start
button that clicks the remote start button. Ability to block remote
keybord/mouse and blank the monitor on demand, and nicest feature, you
can change resolution or take control of a single window on the fly. Now
I could go on and on, like with built in chat, but it is stable as
realvnc if not moreso.

Just my $.02.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Steve Palocz

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin@realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin@realvnc.com] On
Behalf Of Greg Breland
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 8:42 AM
To: list-vnc-list@mayday.cix.co.uk
Cc: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: Re: Roasting old chestnuts

While I agree that file transfer is needlessly complicating VNC, it is
the most
requested feature and will help VNC become more popular.  For instance,
Terminal
Server doesn't have file transfer built in.  You have to use regular SMB
file
sharing to transfer files.

To this end, I thought I would mention that the next major version of
TightVNC 1.3.0
will have file transfer included.  Currently Constain is working to get
1.2.9 out
this week then he plans to release a beta of 1.3.0 shortly thereafter.

You can always get the CVS right now and try it out.  BTW, it is only
for the Win32
viewer/server.