set up

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Fri Jul 18 17:18:00 2003

George Bell said:
[snip]
> I'd also like to have the computer running Linux to be the
> primary one(the one directly connected to the monitor and keyboard), and
> have the windows desktop appear in a completely separate tty than the
> linux desktop(kde).  i.e Control-F6 for windows and Control F-7 for
> Linux.  Can I use vnc in this way?  Is it possible to have it so that a
> windows desktop appears in another tty rather than as a window within kde?
>
> Thanks,
>
> George

This should be possible by running two X servers locally on two different
displays.

If you want it really no-frills, just do:

$ X :1 &

to start a second X server (note that this will fail if you already have a
VNC server (Xvnc) running on display :1, so go to :2, etc.)  Now, go back
to the console (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and do:

$ export DISPLAY:2
$ vncviewer

Boom, the VNC viewer will come upon your second display (Ctrl-Alt-F8,
generally) and ask you for the server.  I'm sure with some scripts you
could automate this.

--
William Hooper