Multiple hop VNC?

Steve Palocz spalocz@tgtsolutions.com
Mon Jul 14 14:48:01 2003

Another option for Windows to just redirect a port would be
www.analogx.com 's portmapper.

Install it on the server
Then forward port 5901 on the server to a machine 5900. Then if you have
many machines you could forward port 5902 to machine b 5900.

It is free software. Now there is no encryption, so ssh would still be
the best. But you could allow only certain IP's.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin@realvnc.com [mailto:vnc-list-admin@realvnc.com] On
Behalf Of William Hooper
Sent: Friday, July 11, 2003 6:23 PM
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: Re: Multiple hop VNC?

Chris Altwegg said:
[snip]
> I am a volunteer network administrator for a local non-profit.  I use
VNC
> get to the server, and then use a copy of VNC on that server to get to
> other
> machines on their network.  But, obviously, there is quite a visual
lag
> from
> the remote computer to the server to me.
>
> The IP address of the server is different than the IP addresses of the
> machines on the network.  If I know the internal IP address of the
> machines on
> the network that I'm trying to get to, is there a way to bypass the
> intermediary server machine and VNC directly to the machine I want to
> access?

One way (that also gets you encryption over the Internet leg) is to look
into SSH tunneling.  You would install the SSH server on the machine
that
can be accessed directly and have SSH forward the ports to the internal
machines.  Check out "More advanced use" on the VNC/SSH page:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/sshvnc.html

It appears this is also possible with Zebedee.

Another option (that doesn't get you encryption) is VNCProxy:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/extras.html#vncproxy

--
William Hooper