Can't connect to vncserver on dial-up network!

Barry Zubel barry@zubel.co.uk
Thu Jul 10 08:44:00 2003

This is not true.  VNC does not care whether it is on a LAN, a dial-up
network, or any other tcp-ip based communication system.  VNC *will*
work if there is any TCP-IP connection to the remote machine. If you
cannot 'telnet' to the remote port, then it is more indicative that
there is no specified route to that machine from the point that you were
dialling up from.

What we need are more details.  Is your 'office' machine directly
connected to the Internet, or is it behind a NAT router?  Can you 'ping'
your office machine IP address when you are dialed up remotely? Is your
remote 'Friend' accessing that machine across the Internet, or a company
WAN?

Please try to give as much information as you can to ensure that you
will be given an accuate response.

Barry Zubel
Able Packaging Designs Ltd

***
This email may contain confidential information and/or copyright
material. This email is intended for the use of the addressee only. Any
unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this email by mistake,
please advise the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your
email software. Thank you for your cooperation.

Please note that any opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the
author personally and are not necessarily those of the Company or any of
its subsidiary companies, none of whom accept responsibility for the
contents of the message. This footnote also confirms that this email
message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.
***