VNC newbee question

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Fri Jul 4 15:31:01 2003

Arijit Mukherjee said:
> Hi
>
> I installed VNC server on my university PC which runs WIN2K, and the
> viewer on my home PC which runs WIN ME.

I assume you have the admin's permission to install it on a machine that
is not yours.

> Both installations are the
> recent versions. But, when I run the viewer from home, it asks for the
> server, and accepts only the correct password for my university machine
> - but after than nothing happens. I can't see anything on my
> screen...when I try to view using IE, it shows a blank page.  I keep my
> university machine locked - but I thought I would be able to unlock it
> by sending a ctrl-alt-del to it (that's what the documentation says).

Double check that you are running VNC as a service.
http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#ctrl-alt-del

> But, it seems when my university machine is open and there are active
> windows on it, then those windows can be seen from my home pc when the
> viewer is started. Then why does nothing happen when my university
> machine is locked?

Also double check that you don't have conflicting settings in the User and
Default sections of the registry.  VNC has to use the Default settings
when no one is logged in, or the machine is locked.

http://www.realvnc.com/winvnc.html#4
--
William Hooper