viewing the base x-display on a PC

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Tue Jul 1 00:00:00 2003

Ajo Fod said:
> Hello,
>
>    I would like to view the base x-display of my linux PC on a Win-XP PC
> running the vnc viewer. I have already installed the viewer and can
> view the grey screen with a blank mouse pointer.
>
>    The FAQs (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html#q21) talk about
> this issue but (http://www.hexonet.de/software.en/ ) link is broken.
>
>    .... or, perhaps there is another solution now?
>
> Cheers,
> -Ajo.

I think you are confusing the answers.  The grey screen means your window
manager isn't starting.  Give us some details about what window manager
you are trying to use, the contents of your ~/.vnc/xstartup file and the
log files in ~/.vnc/ .

x0rfbserver is used to mirror what is displayed on the local console (from
the FAQ "...the same way as the Windows server...".  You are right in the
page seems to be down now.  If this is what you want you might want to
look into http://sourceforge.net/projects/xf4vnc/ .
--
William Hooper