all I get is a grey thatch pattern no wm.

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Sun Nov 24 00:10:01 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Towarnicki" <jtowarnicki@yahoo.com>
To: <vnc-list@realvnc.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 6:34 PM
Subject: all I get is a grey thatch pattern no wm.

You might want to download the newer 3.3.5 version from www.realvnc.com

> I am running or trying to run a vnc server on my linux
> desktop and connect from my windows XP desktop.
>
> all I get is a grey thatch pattern. I tired to change
> twm in the ~/.vnc/xstartup file to startkde,
> startgnome, startsawfish.. none of them work.. my log
> file looks like this:
>
> [jtowarn@cr787749-a .vnc]$ cat cr
> cr787749-a:1.log  cr787749-a:1.pid
> [jtowarn@cr787749-a .vnc]$ cat cr787749-a\:1.log
[snip]
> xrdb: No route to host
> xrdb: Can't open display 'cr787749-a:1'
> xsetroot:  unable to open display 'cr787749-a:1'
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: cr787749-a:1
> twm:  unable to open display "cr787749-a:1"

[snip]
It looks like VNC is working (and you can connect to it), but the WM can't
find your display.
Is cr787749-a in your hosts file?
Can you ping cr787749-a by name?

> what is the unable to open display messages for? and
> that routing message for xrdb? I can't really find
> much on the net on this, and there is actually another
> unanswered quesiton in this newsgroup about this.
> Thanks.

Not to beat a dead horse, but with the recent changes in the mailing list of
the relies defaulting to the individual instead of the list, this will
probably be a more common occurrence.

--
William Hooper

If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile.