Problem with VNC, Windows XP Home, and Startup

Matthew Mahoney mmahoney273@hotmail.com
Fri Nov 22 02:57:00 2002

Hello,

Firstly, please allow me to compliment you on this spectacular service you
are providing. This program is awesome, powerfull, and easy to use all in
one. Not to mention free :) I am impressed and gratefull.

My problem is this: This past week, I learned about RealVNC and installed it
to my computers. I have two computers on Win98 connected to eachother and
then to my Cable Broadband connection through a Linksys router. RealVNC has
worked flawlessly and awesomely on this setup. So two days ago when my
parent that live 2 miles away got thier Cable connection installed, I had an
idea.

My parents are in thier 80's, and about 6 months ago they got thier first
computer. As you can imagine, they are still in the process of mastering
E-Mail and how to bring up and browse a web page. So, I installed RealVNC to
thier computer, and was able to succesfully remote-control thier comp from
my house. I was ecstatic, and tried it out with them immediatly. They loved
it, and its the easiest way Ive found to teach them. However, upon
restarting thier comp, an unforseen problem occured.

When restarting Windows XP, thier Firewall and Anti-virus software work
perfectly. However, the VNC server app icon wouldnt appear on the taskbar. I
Ctrl+alt+deleted and saw that winvnc.exe was running. Since I am unfamiliar
with XP, I thought perhaps this was just how XP worked. I went home, and I
couldnt connect.

Well, today I spent over 2 hours over there after work, and this is where I
stand:

Ive uninstalled/reinstalled VNC multiple times without luck.

I found a something called "Administrative Tools" in the control panel, and
from there went to "Services" where I found the VNC server program. Services
is apperantly Windows XP's list of files/apps to load at startup. I played
around with login settings in there, only got worse, so put those back to
where they were. Then, I tried disabling VNC Server, so it wouldnt load
automatically. That works, and now its better than before because now,
although it wont load automatically, before you couldnt even load it
manually because an error popped up saying the app was already running.

However, I would much prefer if I could get winvnc to auto-run at startup
succesfully. Because the less my parents have to do on thier end the better.
So I tried putting winvnc into the Startup folder. And that didnt work
because apperantly winvnc needs its .dll files in the same folders.

So I put those in the startup folders, that causes two errors to popup with
start because apperantly windows tried to run them like apps. So, by making
the files hidden, the application icon appears on the taskbar now, and
double-clicking opens up the options just like it should. However, when the
program is run from Startup, I still cant remote-control it. However, if I
close winvnc, and then reopen manually from the exact same place, it works
for some reason.

All theories, thoughts, ideas, or help of any kind would be greatly
appreciated. Please direct replies to: mmahoney273@hotmail.com, and thanks!
:D