Registry Edit to define server password

Andrew McKnight Andrew.McKnight@clg.co.uk
Tue Nov 19 15:43:00 2002

Steve, I checked the locations you suggested.  The password key was only in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\" was blank.  This was the password key I originally changed.

I went through the SIDs under HKEY_USERS and only one showed a software entry for ORL.  Again, under the WinVNC3 branch there was a password entry but this was already the same value as the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.  I can't find anymore ORL software branches under the other SIDs (there aren't many).

However, it just dawned on me.  I hadn't restarted the VNC Server service since I copied and pasted the password.  Just tried that, and it worked  :)  Doh!

Cheers for your help,

Andy.

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Bostedor [mailto:Steveb@tshore.com]
Sent: 19 November 2002 14:19
To: vnc-list@realvnc.com
Subject: RE: Registry Edit to define server password

  There are actually a few places that the password is stored.  Which one is used depends on at what stage the server was loaded.  There is one at:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\Default",
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORL\WinVNC3\", and
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\WinVNC3".

   Make sure that they all are the same and you should be good.  The one under CURRENT_USER will be under "HKEY_USERS" if you are accessing it remotely.  You'll need to browse each SID and edit it under any that it shows up.

-Steve Bostedor
http://www.vncscan.com