Windows 2000 Standby

Glenn Lovitz lovitzg@pogoproducing.com
Fri Nov 15 19:04:00 2002

The only way I know of to deal with this is having a WOL (wake-on-lan)
enabled nic (and bios for x86 OS's) and you must know the machines mac
address (e.g., aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff) and IP Address.

I use 2 methods that send magic packets AND allow port selection -- use
links to free code/programs:

1) Perl script for *nix - http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/software/wakeonlan/
(check the "mini-HOWTO" for lots of good links and information.

2) Program for Win32 -
http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-gui.asp (their arpviewer can
be very handy as well)

There are lots of programs that do WOL and most are intended to work within
a lan. The port option is important if you need to use this across the
internet or diverse networks and through firewalls/nat routers.

You may have a case where the remote machine can only be reached via VNC
port 5900 or SSH port 22.  You would use these WOL utilities to send magic
packets to that single available port which gets that machines nic to wake
or boot it's host.  I use this to start PC's on my home network from work
that are either sleeping or completely shut down.  I can then VNC to the
desktop, do what I need to do, and put the machine back to standby or shut
down as required.

Glenn Lovitz