SSH woes

Robin Hill robin@robinhill.me.uk
Thu Nov 14 12:00:30 2002

On Wed Nov 13, 2002 at 11:24:43AM -0500, tony@Instaview.com <tony@instaview.com> wrote:

> Hate to ask this on here since its more SSH related then VNC
> but here is the story:

<- SNIP ->
> SSH shell thru firewall works. SSH File transfer works.
>
> On client config: forward port 5900 ( correct port for my setup
> at home ).
>
> On work pc ( SSH client ), connect to localhost:0, but i never get the
> password prompt back from home machine ( SSH server ). No
> errors, no time outs, nothin.... just dead air.

Have you set the VNC server to allow loopback connections?  Without this
the server won't listen on 127.0.0.1.  You may also need to set it in
the registry on the client end as well.

> Anyone got a clue? + advice on a useable free SSH server
> for windows..  ( off list replies are ok to keep the static down )

There's openssh under cygwin which is supposed to work okay - I've not
actually tried it myself.  If you're just wanting tunneling you could
also look at Zebedee (http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee/).  This'll work
on both Windows and Linux (we use it at work for securing VNC and
several other protocols).

HTH,
        Robin

--