Router help

William Hooper whooper@freeshell.org
Sat Nov 9 03:31:04 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Isaac McCartney" <imccartn@adobe.com>
To: <vnc-list@realvnc.com>
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2002 9:00 PM
Subject: RE: Router help

> No I have neither comp working.
> Im sure I have the porst done right.
> 1) Port forwarding =YES
> 2) That the VNC server on 192.168.1.102 is listening on display 1=YES
> 3) That your IP address hasn't changed since you go the "64.130.xxx.xxx"
> number +YES
> As far as the viewer is concerned, as long as you are not behind a
firewall
> that blocks outgoing connections you shouldn't have to worry about it.  SO
> The return path should be ok?

As I said, as long as there isn't a firewall blocking your outgoing.  Here
is some ASCII art from your first description:

Work--?--Internet--Linksys(64.130.xxx.xxx)--(VNC servers)192.168.1.xxx

Is this correct?  Not sure where the PacBell Router you mentioned is.  If
the "?" blocks outgoing connections on unknown ports (or is a proxy server
only set up for web browsing, for example) you might have a problem.  Can
you ping the 64.130.xxx.xxx address?

>From your home machine you can try going to http://www.gotomyvnc.com/ and
triple check that your VNC servers are visible.  It would probably be a good
test to use a different PC connected directly to the Internet (for example a
friend's dial-up or cable modem, etc.) so that the "?" above can be
eliminated from the equation.  If you can get to your VNC servers from a
different dial-up PC then you will have to talk to the admin of the "?" and
get it reconfigured.

--
William Hooper

Save the whales, collect the whole set !