vnc 3.3.3rx and 3.3.4 + port scan(JeffoutoftheofficeWednesday 11/6/2002) (Jeff outoftheofficeWednesday11/6/2002) (Jeff out of the officeWednesday11/6/2002) (Jeff out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002)

Jeff Koenig Jeff.Koenig@experian.com
Wed Nov 6 11:53:45 2002

I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.

I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.

Jeff Koenig
Experian

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 19:03 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 18:35 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 18:12 >>>

I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.

I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.

Jeff Koenig
Experian

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 17:44 >>>

surely some one can block this plonker until he comes back??? I don't want every
email sent to the list, echoed buy him and costing me more money...

Jeff Koenig wrote:

> I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.
>
> I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.
>
> Jeff Koenig
> Experian

> I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.
>
> I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.
>
> Jeff Koenig
> Experian

> Greetings,
>
> I didn't see this in the archives, or in a known issues file.. (I didn't look
> very hard, I'll admit)..
>
> While testing something unrelated to VNC, we found when doing a port scan or
> just using telnet directly.. if you connect to port 5900 on a Windows box
> running the vnc server, but never speak it's protocol (open and close).. It'll
> change the servers background image to whatever it had as a default.
>
> The mitigating factor in this, is the background must be set with Internet
> explorer, by right clicking on an image and telling it to 'set this image as a
> background'
>
> Further, if you only have ONE background in your windows backgrounds section
> (the internet explorer one).. it wont lose its background right away, but if
> you open any windows, it will not refresh your background image, and will only
> show your default background color..  if you hit f5 and refresh, the entire
> background image goes away, replaced by the default color.
>
> Both boxes tested against were NT 4.0..  One with SP6a, and SP3. Also Windows
> 2000.. It happens whether 'remove desktop wallpaper' is enabled, or disabled.
>
> (only 3.3.4 was test on win2k)
>
> I did see a bug about "Desktop wallpaper is not removed when the a viewer
> connects, despite the "Remove Desktop Wallpaper" option being selected in
> vncserver properties."
>
> However, this isn't even authenticated, it's just hitting it on the port and
> that's it... and that bug is just the opposite.
>
> ---
> Erik Parker
> ---

"The two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen...and Stupidity."
-Harlan Ellison