vnc 3.3.3rx and 3.3.4 + port scan (JeffoutoftheofficeWednesday 11/6/2002) (Jeff out oftheofficeWednesday11/6/2002) (Jeff out of the office Wednesday11/6/2002) (Jeff out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002)

Jeff Koenig Jeff.Koenig@experian.com
Wed Nov 6 01:58:31 2002

I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.

I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.

Jeff Koenig
Experian

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 19:03 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 18:40 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 17:55 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 17:32 >>>

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 17:18 >>>

I will be out of the office Wednesday 11/6/2002.

I will be back in the office on Thursday 11/7/2002.

Jeff Koenig
Experian

>>> "vnc-list@realvnc.com" 11/05/02 16:44 >>>

Greetings,

I didn't see this in the archives, or in a known issues file.. (I didn't look
very hard, I'll admit)..

While testing something unrelated to VNC, we found when doing a port scan or
just using telnet directly.. if you connect to port 5900 on a Windows box
running the vnc server, but never speak it's protocol (open and close).. It'll
change the servers background image to whatever it had as a default.

The mitigating factor in this, is the background must be set with Internet
explorer, by right clicking on an image and telling it to 'set this image as a
background'

Further, if you only have ONE background in your windows backgrounds section
(the internet explorer one).. it wont lose its background right away, but if
you open any windows, it will not refresh your background image, and will only
show your default background color..  if you hit f5 and refresh, the entire
background image goes away, replaced by the default color.

Both boxes tested against were NT 4.0..  One with SP6a, and SP3. Also Windows
2000.. It happens whether 'remove desktop wallpaper' is enabled, or disabled.

(only 3.3.4 was test on win2k)

I did see a bug about "Desktop wallpaper is not removed when the a viewer
connects, despite the "Remove Desktop Wallpaper" option being selected in
vncserver properties."

However, this isn't even authenticated, it's just hitting it on the port and
that's it... and that bug is just the opposite.

---
Erik Parker
---