How to find out what your URL is when you have a router

John Peters japeters@pacbell.net
Fri Nov 1 21:11:00 2002

How to find out what your URL is when you have a router

You can log on to your router by looking up the URL in the docs.
Type the URL number in to the address line of your browser.
No need for any WWW or HTML stuff, just the number.

Look through the menus for STATUS which may be under ADVANCED SETUP

There you will see all the various numbers, including what you need to use VNC
through the router's firewall.

Some routers ask for a pass word, but you can leave it blank and touch LOGIN
and it works for me.

You also have to look for  a menu item called
NAT and then
VIRTUAL SERVER

In the Private IP column you put the last didgets of your local machine's URL
which is the one seen when you float the mouse over the VNC icon.  This one
works for lcal access but not thru a router.

In the Private Port column you put 5900 which is from the VNC docs. Under type
you Check TCP

On the second line you put the same last 4 didgets of your local machine's URL
but use 5500 as the Public Port.

So my setup looks like this:

Private IP           Private Port   Type   Public Port
192.168.2.120        5900           TCP    5900
138.168.2 120        5500           TCP    5500

I hope this helps, and if it does send me a note
japeters@pacbell.net

John A. Peters