VNC auto startup in Linux

CHEUNG Chi Wai, Chris chris.cheung "at" hld.com
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:10:07 +0000

Dear all,

I have installed Mandrake 8.2 and Installed VNC bundle with it.
VNC works fine if I start it manually.
But it doesn't work if I put it start on boot.
Linux will call a Shell script to start the VNC service
as vncserver start from the path /etc/rc.d/init.d
And the server will use the config file vncservers in
/etc/sysconfig.

If I manually run the /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver start, it works fine.
But If it run as startup, there is problem.
The service can start ( I have make sure everytime the server kill
/tmp/.X11-unix/x*), But when I connect it from other servers,
The screen doesn't show up any X Mangers, No KDE, Gnome.
I have corrected the file in /home/chris/.vnc/xstartup to have kdestart
command.
Everything goes fine if I run it manually, but no KDE session when boot
in startup.
Thanks for help

Best Regards,
Chris Cheung