Windows VNC

Alex K. Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:19:43 +0000

Citrix-like functionality - NO.

Not that it couldn't be done (it has been done before) but there
are...difficulties.

First, you have to understand that VNC is truly a child of Unix/Linux. Unix
and Linux since the beginning have been built on the foundations of remote
use and multiple users, whereas Windows grew up as a one-PC/one-user system.

As a result, when you look at the core VNC distributions, they are a few
hundred KiB in size and easy to do compared to - Citrix, which in  its
original implementation replace something like 50 MiB of Windows files to
work.  In fact, it was so difficult to do that Microsoft actually
strong-armed the technology out of Citrix for WTS - when MS approached them
in 1997 about purchasing, they wanted $1 billion for the technology and IIRC
"settled" for $170 million. :)

There are methods of doing this.  Unfortunately, it takes a lot of work, and
everyone who has done so clues in on the fact that they can charge several
hundred dollars per licensed user to biiiiig corporations - so there is no
open source equivalent.

That said, there are some interesting details in the built-in resources now
that Windows has TS-like services built into all versions.  Microsoft is
already claiming that simultaneous use hacks would require multiple licenses
or be illegal. I think we are a few years away from easy multi-use
modifications of the standard Windows workstation OS though.