Forced Shutdown of Windows NT/2K Systems tony.caduto "at"
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:03:42 +0000

If VNC was written in Pascal I would fix it myself, but alas I am no C/C++
I think it would just require tweaking the service code in the win32 VNC
server, but I don't know for sure.
Win32 services respond to a shutdown message and this can be ignored and
the service can ignore it until it is the last service running, then accept
the shutdown message.

Any C/C++ developers can kick in here :-)

Tony Caduto
M&I Trust and Investment Management

                    "Alex K. Angelopoulos"
                    <alex "at">              To:     <vnc-list "at">
                    Sent by:                        cc:
                    owner-vnc-list "at" uk.resear        Subject:     Re: Forced Shutdown of Windows NT/2K Systems
                    03/26/2002 11:45 AM
                    Please respond to

This is exactly the reasoning behind the argument that VNC should include
certain extra functionality on Windows platforms.

The issue is not a problem with VNC; it's a problem with the underlying OS
if I understand it correctly.  For corporate use, however, the point is not
"who is at fault?" but "how do we fix it quickly?" and that comes down to
switching to a product such as pcAnywhere all too often.
See also: