How do I make VNC display KDE desktop?

Tim DeBoer deboert "at" rufus.cornhusker.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:14:29 +0000

Hi everyone,
I'm having a heck of a time getting VNC viewer (running on any of my
Windows98 clients) to display my KDE desktop on my FreeBSD machine.
It displays twm just fine, but not KDE.
I've followed the steps outlined at
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/UTCS/online-docs/Xvnc_docs/faq.html
Q21.

I've also tried making the ~/.vnc/xstartup a symlink to ~/.xinitrc,
which of course has the entry startkde.

Neither of these steps seem to beworking for me, VNC just ignores the
xstartup script from what I can see.
I don't see any error messages, or obvious problem in my vnc logfile
either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

--

Tim DeBoer
http://www.freebsd-geek.com

"When you find yourself in the company of a Halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the Halfling."