getting JAVA server to work under Linux

Michael Ossmann michael.ossmann "at" alttech.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:06:20 +0000

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 09:11:19AM -0500, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> I have VNC running beauifully under a RH 7.2 system, but the JAVA part
> doesn't work.  I can telnet to the http port, so I know the server is
> listening, but that's as far as I get.

What happens when you try to connect with a browser?

> 	If you are using the X-based VNC server, you may need to
> 	specify the directory which contains the class files in the
> 	vncserver script.  The Win32 server has the classes embedded
> 	in the server itself.
>
> How do I do that?

If you are using the vncserver script, then it should do this
automatically.  What it does behind the scenes is run Xvnc with the
"-httpd /location/of/vnc/classes" option.  Is there anything in your
~/.vnc/hostname:1.log?

>        java vncviewer HOST snoopy PORT 5901
>
> and that gave me:
>
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vncviewer
>      at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:native)
>      at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:52)

This is probably because vncviewer.class is not in your CLASSPATH.  Have
you tried switching to the VNC class directory before running the java
command?

Alternative Technology, Inc.  http://www.alttech.com/