Varying displays?

"Beerse, Corné" cbeerse "at" hiscom.nl
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:15:56 +0000

Remove the display setting from the file. It is a runtime setting. The
processes know the setting and will provide it to the subprocesses.

> I'm having the users ssh in and running the server
> themselves, since I
> don't want it running all the time. so when one runs
> vncserver, I need
> someway to tell ~/.xsession which display they are using.

The vncserver script starts the twm windowmanager and  an xterm. If the
users run their apps from the xterm in the window, the display will be set
correct for every sub application unless someone mangles the settings.

> What other solutions do I have?  This isn't for a large
> amount of users,
> probably less than 5 and most certainly less than 10, so could it be
> possible to just deny access to vncserver and keep the
> necessary servers
> running all of the time? how much resources does it take up idle? and
> how much bandwidth?

The better solution would be as described here:
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp. The description is
for linux but if you know what your're doing, you can convert it to about
every unix flavor.

THe best part for this solution is that the user has the same setup for the
local X11 login and for the remote Xvnc login.

One disadvnatage: no screen take over since there is no coupling between the
display number and the used port for vnc.

Success,

CBee