Forced Shutdown of Windows NT/2K Systems

Dave Warren maillist "at"
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:31:09 +0000

John Roland Elliott wrote:
> Isn't anyone else at least a little disappointed with these
> "shutdown-and-I-really-mean-it-this-time-comma-dammit" approaches? When
> there are processes running on my machines that don't or can't honor
> shutdown requests, I kinda wanna know about it.

Sometimes a process is simply busy and can't shut down for a few moment,
so it tells the OS it's a bad time.  Another possibility is that an
application is waiting for you to ack the save=yes/no dialog.

Personally, I usually issue a forceful shutdown in 300 seconds, then
shutdown myself manually.  If the shutdown is aborted, then 300 seconds
later the forceful shutdown resolves the problem.

The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.
See also: