Forced Shutdown of Windows NT/2K Systems

Dave Warren maillist "at" devilsplayground.net
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:31:09 +0000

John Roland Elliott wrote:
> Isn't anyone else at least a little disappointed with these
> "shutdown-and-I-really-mean-it-this-time-comma-dammit" approaches? When
> there are processes running on my machines that don't or can't honor
> shutdown requests, I kinda wanna know about it.

Sometimes a process is simply busy and can't shut down for a few moment,
so it tells the OS it's a bad time.  Another possibility is that an
application is waiting for you to ack the save=yes/no dialog.

Personally, I usually issue a forceful shutdown in 300 seconds, then
shutdown myself manually.  If the shutdown is aborted, then 300 seconds
later the forceful shutdown resolves the problem.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their own.