getting JAVA server to work under Linux

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman joel "at" exc.com
Tue, 26 Mar 2002 14:18:42 +0000

I have VNC running beauifully under a RH 7.2 system, but the JAVA part
doesn't work.  I can telnet to the http port, so I know the server is
listening, but that's as far as I get.

Looking through the docs, I see that:

	If you are using the X-based VNC server, you may need to
	specify the directory which contains the class files in the
	vncserver script.  The Win32 server has the classes embedded
	in the server itself.

How do I do that?

I also tried:

       java vncviewer HOST snoopy PORT 5901

and that gave me:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: vncviewer
     at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:native)

So something's wrong with the Java installation?

I'll be very appreciative if someone can tell me how I fix this.

Thanks in advance.

-Joel Hoffman
(joel "at" exc.com)