Server machine with 2 IP's

Bill Reedy bmr "at" surewest.net
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:41:14 +0000

Hi Kim...

I can help with your ICS issues concerning VNC.  What I need is some more
info.  To sum up your previous message, I understand this...

Server Machine:  Win98+, two nics, using ICS.
    Question:  Have you opened and redirected ports for Client1 on this
server?

Client1:  Static IP, VNC Viewer works.
     Question:  Are you successfully "viewing" Client1, or are you trying to
view another PC from Client1?
                    If running VNC Server on this client, which port or
display number is specified?

Client2:  DHCP, VNC viewer doesn't work.
      Question:  Again, are you viewing, or viewing from, the Client2 PC?
                     If running VNC Server on this client, which port or
display number is specified?

As an quick overview, ICS shares your external address with all internal
machines.  To get a VNC Viewer from outside your network (i.e., the internet)
to connect to an VNC Server inside your network, each system's VNC Server
needs to be listening on a unique port number.  In addition, on the ICS
gateway, these port numbers need to be mapped to "specific" internal IP
addresses.  I stress the word "specific" to indicate that there is no
provision for re-directing ports to a dynamic, DHCP, address.  Even though,
practically, a machine is assigned the same DHCP address every time it is
renewed by the server, the reality is that the machine can, under certain
instances beyond your control, be assigned a new IP address.  This is not
acceptable when using port forwarding in ICS, so I would suggest giving all
machines static IP's if they are to have ports forwarded.

...br