TightVNC 1.2.3 released

Alex K. Angelopoulos alex "at" bittnet.com
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 22:09:59 +0000

In this particular case, it turns out the ability has been there for quite a
while as an add-on to distributions  - but not immediately obvious, and,
most annoyingly, not accessible via the "Click START to shut down" choices.

Here are your choices for *forcing* shutdown:

(1) Win98/Me:

RUNDLL32 SHELL32.DLL,SHExitWindowsEx 6

will force an immediate reboot without prompt

(2) Daytona-class OS's (NT/2000 - XP has it built in FINALLY) - get any
command-line shutdown.  This is a key part of an admin's toolkit - my
philosophy for the last few years has been that I will bring my own
"special" tools to Windows and not expect Microsoft to implement functions I
want in what they designed as a local small-office server...

(3) If you have Kixtart (if not, you should) you can use
$RC = SHUTDOWN( "\\server", "", 0, 1, 1 )
It is free from
http://www.kixtart.org/

For some general shutdown tricks, I suggest visiting
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/shutdown.html

He has impeccable sources - he even quotes me on the shutdown methods... ;)

I'm taking a look at a method Rob mentions using the setupapi from the
command line; as I recall, although he does not document it, there are a
couple of codes you can issue as arguments to rundll32 setupapi which might
be usable to do a direct command-line forced reboot.