Limiting the Remote View

Scott "The Axe" O'Bryan axeman "at" dwarf.org
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:34:34 +0000

There is also a product on the website under contributions which does
this.  You set up a server that runs only a specific app.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
[mailto:owner-vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com] On Behalf Of Adrian Umpleby
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 9:15 AM
To: vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com
Subject: Re: Limiting the Remote View

On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 03:23 PM, Marc Bertone wrote:

> I was wondering if there is some way to limit the remote view when
> someone
> connects via their browser.  For example, could I only allow the
remote
> client to see my IE window, foremost window, CMD console, etc?
> Basically, I
> would like to selectively share only a part of my desktop while the
rest
> would remain hidden to the (view only) viewer.

One possible (rather wierd and wasteful of screen real-estate) way to do

this,
if the region of the screen you want to show does not move, is to go
through a
secondary vnc server. (Perhaps an Xvnc server would be best, so it does
not use
up another real screen.)

What you would do is have a vncviewer open on the intermediate box,
showing
the whole screen of your first Windows machine. Then open up some other
blank
windows and obscure the parts of the view you don't want seen. You can
then
advertise this second machine as the one which others connect to.

i.e: