VNC on NT4-Server with Mac client

Rothweiler, Claus Claus.Rothweiler "at" glatt.de
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:56:03 +0000

Dear VNC list,

as a new vnc-user I have the following problem:
I want to use a NT4-Server without monitor and keyboard as Mac Fileserver. In
fact the only task would be to shutdown the machine remotely. VNC installation
on Mac was no problem. On the server I first got the message "The SCM could
not be contacted - the WinVNC service was not installed" while not beeing
logged in as admin. It worked as admin and I run VNC as service as
recommended. Now the problem is, that I get the error "The server could not be
found. This may be because the server is not running, or because the adress of
the server was incorrect.", after a long period of waiting, when I try to
connect from the Mac's viewer. The IP adres is correct, VNCserver is running
an even a volume of the NT machine is mounted on the Mac's desktop, so there
should be no physical problem in the network. The Mac runs with OS 9.1. What
could be wrong? Any advice?

Best regards

Claus Rothweiler