"Hardware version of VNC" revisited

Lee Allen lee "at" leadtec.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:40:00 +0000

When this topic came up a month ago, it led to some discussion about the
NIC, the New Internet Computer, from the New Internet Computer Company.
This was a bit off-topic because the original post was about a VNC server
and the NIC is a client.

The NIC is a $199 box that is a prepacked, ready-to-go Linux system.  It
comes with Netscape and VNC and a variety of other "client" applications,
including Citrix, VT emulation, etc.

I have completed my evaluation of this product for use with our system.  I
love it.  We will be using it as a "zero administration" dedicated VNC
workstation.  I highly recommend it for anyone who needs a dedicated VNC
workstation, or VNC + Netscape.

The process of setting up the device is the simplest I have ever seen.  Your
grandmother could pull it off (especially if Grannie maintains a DHCP
server).

Details: $199 includes the following
- PR 300Mhz Via Cyrix processor
- 64 MB RAM
- 8 MB Flash memory
- 24x CD-Rom  (it boots from CD)
- USB ports (2)
- Serial ports (2)
- 56K Modem
- 10/100 base-T Ethernet
- keyboard
- mouse
- speakers

If you look carefully at this list you will note the monitor is not
included, nor is a hard disk.  Hard disk is not needed and is not supported.

I made some slight modifications to the stock CD so it automatically starts
VNC and gets the VNC host IP address from a file in flash memory.  I would
be glad to share those modifications.

Lee Allen
Leadtec Systems, Inc.