The Next Generation display numbers

Alex K. Angelopoulos alex "at"
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 20:31:21 +0000

You may have lost me on the "3 ports" thing...

You're saying that on Unix-like operating systems there is actually a 3-port
interplay to VNC? I assume you mean if using HTTP also, that there is a
separate port used for the web server, VNC, and then X Window system
traffic? That does make symbolic sense.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Throop" <throopw "at">
To: <vnc-list "at">
Cc: <throopw "at">
Sent: Thursday, 2002-03-21 12:45
Subject: RE: The Next Generation display numbers

: :: That 1-port-per display issue is one of the things that struck me as
: :: particularly inelegant when I first encountered VNC; without knowing
: :: anything about the technical details behind it, I am guessing that it
: :: was motivated by some shortcut taken to simplify the original
: :: implementation.
: Not at all.  Having three ports was motivated by the facts that
:     1. there are three completely different protocols; nobody
:        is surprised to find a single process (eg, inetd) listening
:        at different ports for different protocols.
:     3. the initialization sequences of http, X and rfb protocols
:        are completely mutually incompatible, and so a listener
:        at one port would not reliably know which protocol to speak, and
:        it would be difficult to justify forcing them to be compatible.
: It's not at all fair or reasonable to call this a "shortcut".
: : Should be not that hard to arange with some port mapping application:
: : First listen on the port.  If a webbrowser is found, provide the
: : webpage as on 5800, with the propper port defined.  If a vcnviewer
: : found, remap the port to the vncserver port and off you go.
: I fail to see any motivation for doing so.  The criteria for "if a
: webbrowser is found" could not be anything more than a rule of thumb,
: prone to problems.  If it's such a big issue, then put up a web page
: that starts the java viewer pointed at the desired port; that web page
: could be hosted from anywhere at all, and accessed through port 80
: as is natural.
: Wayne Throop   throopw "at"
: To unsubscribe, mail majordomo "at" with the line:
: See also:
See also: