Varying displays?

Grant McDorman grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:45:09 +0000

$DISPLAY will be set before .xsession is run, by the system. Remove the
export DISPLAY=:x from the .xsession; it is not only unnecessary but is
wrong.

According to Bryan Alves:
> say I have 2 users, fryguy and bonzo, and each one has export display=:x
> in there .xsession file.  How can I make it so that the .xsession file
> knows which display the right server is running on?
>
> I'm having the users ssh in and running the server themselves, since I
> don't want it running all the time. so when one runs vncserver, I need
> someway to tell ~/.xsession which display they are using.
>
> What other solutions do I have?  This isn't for a large amount of users,
> probably less than 5 and most certainly less than 10, so could it be
> possible to just deny access to vncserver and keep the necessary servers
> running all of the time? how much resources does it take up idle? and
> how much bandwidth?

Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman "at" cedara.com>, Sr. Software Design Consultant
Cedara Software Corp.  <URL:http://www.cedara.com>
  (formerly I.S.G. Technologies Inc.)
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]