Watching video using VNC

Shola.Ogunlokun@AllenOvery.com Shola.Ogunlokun "at" AllenOvery.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 15:01:13 +0000

Wrong use of VNC.

What you need to do is install windows media encoder on the TV Computer, and
then use windows media player on your laptop to connect to the encoder.

visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmedia

I only suggest this solution, cause this is the product I am aware of and is
free

Thanks

Shola Ogunlokun
IT Email Team
+44 20 7330 4230

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Tesla [mailto:christophert "at" cellulargenomics.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 2:45 PM
To: VNC Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Watching video using VNC

A recent question regarding using VNC to view streaming media caught my eye.
I have a home network with several computers.  I regularly use VNC to
control
machines from other machines.  Everything is W2K.

I have a computer with a video-in card that is plugged into my TV
downstairs.
I can run the video software and watch TV on the computer.  Sometimes I am
working upstairs on my laptop and would like to have that same function.
When
I use VNC to access the TV computer it works fine but the window that shows
the video signal is black.

I am assuming that VNC has trouble updating the screen fast enough to show
the
video signal.  I am running everything as full-duplex 100Mb on a managed
switch, so the network is screaming.  Is there any way to speed up the VNC
refresh so that I can watch real-time video on the laptop upstairs?

Just a fun question!

C-ya
Chris T

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by telephoning +44 (20) 7330 3000 and requesting the IT Helpdesk. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Allen & Overy
One New Change
London
EC4M 9QQ

Tel:+44 (20) 7330 3000
Fax: +44 (20) 7330 9999
General Email: Helpdesk "at" allenovery.com
www: http://www.allenovery.com

Allen & Overy is a solicitors' partnership.  A list of the names of partners and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at the above office.  The partners are either solicitors or registered foreign lawyers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

This is a legal communication not a financial communication.  Neither this nor any other communication from this firm is intended to be, or should be construed as, an invitation or inducement (direct or indirect) to any person to engage in investment activity. The following information is provided in accordance with the Solicitors' Financial Services (Conduct of Business) Rules 2001.  The provision of our legal services may relate to investments.  We are not authorised by the Financial Services Authority, but we are regulated by the Law Society and we can undertake certain activities in relation to investments which are limited in scope and incidental to our legal services or which may reasonably be regarded as a necessary part of our legal services.  If for any reason we are unable to resolve a problem between us and a client, our client may utilise the complaints and redress scheme operated by the Law Society.