The Next Generation display numbers

"Beerse, Corné" cbeerse "at" hiscom.nl
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 13:24:04 +0000

This is what happens with the -init option as described at
http://www.sourcecodecorner.com/articles/vnc/linux.asp. Hence, vncviewer can
coop with it, as can Xvnc.

According to the Xvnc options (`Xvnc --help`) all ports can be controlled.

> In the *nix world, using display number for both the
> applications and the
> VNC client makes sense. (Xvnc actually has three ports based on the
> display number: 5800+display, 5900+display, and 6000+display.
> The last one
> is the port used by applications to connect to the server.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I see the next controllable optoins from the
Xvnc server:

5800+display# == Web interface, serving the java applet. Can be altered with
-httpport option. Only used  to provide the java applet. If you have a
webserver running, it can provide the same applet from a totally differnt
sublocation (like http://machine/vncviewer) on a different port (80, the
http default) just as long as the java applet is activated with the right
port (the rfb port) See the page's html source provided by the server for
details.

5900+display# == vncviewer interface. Can be altered with -rfbport option.
This is the port used for communication between vncviewer and vncserver. The
vncviewer should be able to read a display number or a port number.
Unfortunatly, both have a similar syntax. Who adds the option -rfbport to
the viewer, just as the java applet does?

6000+display# == X11 input (?) Is contolled by the display number. This is
the X11 definition. It is (unfortunatly) only used in the Xvnc server, not
in the winvncserver. However, I just discovered that the winvncserver with
auto display number used :0 if there is no X11 server running and it is
using :1 if there is a X11 server running at :0. Hence it is somehow
prepared on X11 on a windows machine.

This leaves the -port and -udpinputport. I don't know them but I think it's
something with X11, not with VNC.

> I agree it doesn't make much sense in the Windows-only world;
> however, when
> connecting to *nix systems (from any system) it does make
> sense, and (in my
> opinion) should not be removed.

As far as I can see now, it is not used at all within the vnc protocol

> Perhaps what we need is a way to explicitly specify the VNC port (the
> 580x/590x) on both the client and server. Connections to
> non-*nix systems
> could then use that.

As above, the Xvnc server can and the java applet can.