The Next Generation display numbers

Wayne Throop throopw "at"
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:16:56 +0000

: Grant McDorman <grant.mcdorman "at">
: The problem is that VNC, on *nix systems, will always use a display
: number for access by applications.  If one drops the display number
: for the VNC client connections, then we'll have *two* unrelated IDs
: for the VNC server - the display number, and the VNC ID, whatever that
: might be (port perhaps?).

What, you don't like the -rfbport option of Xvnc?
What's wrong with it?  Needs to be uppercase or something?

I agree that an unambiguous way to refer by port instead of
by display number in a vncviewer would be nice; but it isn't
all that unweildy now: if the number is over 100, it's a port.

So again... just what do you propose should change, anyways?
Or did you mean the WinDoze server?

Wayne Throop   throopw "at"
See also: